Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have en electrical problem on a Deere S2046 lawn tractor.

Customer Question

I have en electrical problem on a John Deere S2046 lawn tractor. I have replaced the brake/clutch safety switch because the engine dies when I let my foot off the brake. The replacement did not solve the problem. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! The seat switch , brake switch and pto switch all have to complete the run circuit. Have you checked the seat switch and harness? The mower thinks there is no one on the seat, when the brake is released. Can be switch, harness, or other wires that have to make the run circuit complete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have disarmed the seat switch because it was annoying, by installing a wire to complete the circuit. I was not aware of a PTO safety switch.
The machine runs fine with the brake depressed but stops as soon as I lift my foot off the brake. Since I have replaced the brake safety switch, it appears to me that there is something wrong related to that circuit, but not the that safety switch.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I see no wiring diagram for the unit, and the parts list shows the three switches, seat, brake and pto switch. They all are in the run circuit, so do a continuity check between the switches . And take a good look at the seat bypass, it may have come loose! The safety switches complete the ground side of the circuit.