Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

As soon as I put a load on my cummins 4000 generator in my

Customer Question

as soon as I put a load on my cummins 4000 generator in my motorhome, it shuts off?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What is the full model number of the genset, exactly as it is written on the data label?
How long has it been since this unit was run regularly?
How long has it been since this unit has had a good tune up?
While it is running with no load, is it running smoothly, or is it surging?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model no. is RVQG 4000
Has been run intermittently, as recent as one week ago.
Not sure about the last tune up. Everything was working fine.
Unit runs great until any load is applied, then instantly shuts down.
This website gave me the option of paying extra for an 'immediate response'. That was last night at 8:00??
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, but I can't be online 24/7. I got to this question as soon as I saw it. I can't answer why someone else did not pick it up.
RVQG is a family series, not a model number.
I need to know the actual model number.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really, you can't give me some ideas why the generator would shut down once a load is applied? I know most generators are similar, and react similar......
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
You're somewhat correct.
But if I knew exactly which model you had, then I would know which components it contains. Not all gensets have the same components - even within the same family.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Hank, so far you haven't been much help. My kids were stranded in a roadside stop without being able to use their generator for AC as it was extremely hot outside. I tried this webpage at 8:00 Saturday night, paying for a quick answer. So far it's been over 24 hours without even a suggestion of what it might be. I was expecting some answers a long time ago!!
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
I wasn't online last night, so there was no way I could do anything last night.
You're not being much help, either. I need to know the model number of the genset, so I know which one it is, but you still haven't supplied it.
I will opt out of this question.
.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you have a fuel restriction in the carburetor. It is getting enough fuel to run with no load but when you put a load on it, it is not pulling enough fuel to keep it running. I would remove the carburetor and give it a good thorough cleaning, be sure to clean the main fuel nozzle and jets. I hope that this helps.