Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Gravely Tractor will not crank. What should I check for?

Customer Question

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you.

What happens if anything when you turn the key to start the machine? Do you hear any noises? Clicks, buzzes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no , I open the ignition compartment and found 2 loose wires. One blue with white stripe and a purple wire. I went across the selanoid and it cranks but still would not start. Pull air filter off and pour little gas in the carburetor. Hand cover the hose to the air filter.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

When you jumped across the solenoid did you have the key in the on/run position, if not this would cause you to have no spark. If you did have it on then you have an ignition problem on the engine. It could be the ignition coil, points and/or condenser on older engines, a wire shorted out to ground that is keeping the engine from firing. What engine do you have? Can you provide the model and type or spec of the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
modle no.991082 seriaI no.002673 Icheck the key switch an found no power coming to the switch
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If you have no power coming to the switch then you either have a bad connection at the battery or solenoid, or you have a blown fuse. I would check the fuse first then go from there.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this?