JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Back up assist disengages without pulling swith

Customer Question

back up assist disengages without pulling swith
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

When you say the back up assist can you explain a little more about what is happening with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When mowing I have to pull a switch out in order to back up. I push the switch back in to continue forward. About 5 minutes later the mower blade will stop on it's own, without me pulling the switch. Then in about 3 minutes, the blade will stop on it's own again and it continues to do this. What is the reason it shuts down itself?? (We have already paid the bill for this without receiving a response)
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

When the blade stops on its own can you immediately get it restarted? This sounds like the electric clutch has enough wear on it that it will not stay engaged once it gets warm. Some of these clutches are adjustable. Do you know if you have an adjustable clutch? The easy way to tell is to look at the clutch if it has a triangle plate with three nuts then it is adjustable. I would check the clearance at the three slots in the clutch, you want this clearance to be .012 inch if it is more than that then it will cause you problem with the clutch not staying engaged. If the clutch is round then it is not adjustable and would have to be replaced if the clearance is more than the .012 inch. You can also check the voltage going to the clutch when the blades stop turning to see if you still have voltage at the clutch, you will want to do this as soon as the blade stops and without touching or changing anything from the time it stops till the time you test it.