Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Have a Craftsman 42" 22hp rider. Has run perfect yrs. While

Customer Question

Have a Craftsman 42" 22hp rider. Has run perfect for 5 yrs. While mowing yard brushed by a bush that killed engine. Didn't understand what made it stop so reached for key to start back up. Noticed key bent so figured bush must have turned ignition off. Restarted right up and continued. Before long started noticing engine laboring as if going through real tall grass. Stopped and disengaged blade but still engine running slow.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

HI, my name is ***** ***** I am going to be assisting you.

Can you provide the model and type or spec numbers from the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Craftsman Model###-##-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YTS3000
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I was looking for the engine information. The information that you have provided is from the frame.

From the information that you have provided it looks like you have a single cylinder Briggs engine can you confirm this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, said it was a 22hp. Actually 21hp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
single Briggs
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You had not been having any problems with the power prior to running through or under this bush is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will add before doing all the maintenance, it would just barely turn engine. It at least starts now but runs like on low idle
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The first thing that comes to mind is if it possibly caught the throttle cable and stretched it out or caused it to slip in the adjustment clamp at the engine, this would cause a loss of rpm or power.

Can you make certain that you have the spark plug boot or wire pushed firmly onto the plug, if this is not making good contact it would cause a problem.

If neither one of those are a problem the only other thing that I can think of is a valve problem but not sure what running under the bush would have to do with the valves.

Did the engine run okay for a little while after you replaced the spark plug?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No ,throttle on opposite side. Old spark plug ran ok for a while then gradually lost power. New plug didn't change things
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Noticed on top of motor exhaust air coming out. Still comes out muffler but don't recall air flow at top before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rectangular opening just below top flywheel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See I can attach files. Would a short video clip help?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Yes it could be of help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well shoot! Ten second video too large file
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would bad battery cause starter to turn slow and then motor run slow
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It would cause the starter to turn slow but would not affect the running of the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other suggestions?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If the engine is cranking slow you could have a valve problem, this would also explain the engine running slow or no power.

I would check the valve clearances.

You could also have a carburetor leaking or over fueling which would also cause both problems. You can easily take a look at that, if the engine has been sitting for a while remove the air filter and look into the throat of the carburetor if you have fuel puddle there then your carburetor is leaking, you will need to clean and rebuild the carburetor. If you see no fuel there then that is not going to be your problem. At that point I would go back on focus on the valve clearances.

Let me know what you find.