Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a kawa fh601v 19hp. Initially I took the motor off

Customer Question

I have a kawa fh601v 19hp. Initially I took the motor off and turned it upside down and replaced the sump seal . Then I replaced the top crank seal . Wen I tried to start it it would run but barely like it was choking out . Spitting gas and back firing out of the carb.
I checked vavles, changed fuel pumps, checked sheer key, cleaned carb, checked crankcase breather, and everything else I could think of . I did notixe that while running I cuold cut the gas off and it would start running good for a few seconds. I replaced the float needle and it didn't change anything
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Is it one cylinder causing problem? Run cylinder test. Loosen spark plug wires and remove one at a time. If engine dies when one is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. With engine backfiring, it shows to me that you have an open valve when when the spark is occurring. You may have valve that is not seating, or bent pushrod.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked all firing and reset vavles twice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both cylinders have 150 psi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw it ran perfect before I turned it upside down
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

So both cylinders are firing? Try loosing the exhaust, maybe it is plugged and is causing back pressure . Not often seen on four cycle engine, but it can happen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that and it didn't help either . Its almost like its pulling a hard vacuum thru the carb and making it flood out
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is the electric solenoid in the base of the carburetor opening when key is turned on? It has to have 12 volts as long as the key is on.??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea its working perfectly
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Let me opt out, maybe someone else has idea!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still haven't got an answer
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Just a thought. How does the engine run with the air filter removed? It is possible that if you did not remove the air filter prior to turning the engine over that you have soaked the filter and it is restricting the air flow which would cause the problem that you are describing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also tried that and no change
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The engine was running fine until you flipped it over to change the seal right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also replace top crank seal
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

When replacing the top seal, you had to remove the ignition coils in order to remove the flywheel. What did you gap the coils at when reinstalling them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used a business card to gap them
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

This should be okay, but not all business cards are the same thickness and it could present a problem. Do you have a .010 inch feeler gauge? If so try resetting the coils with your feeler gauge. May not make a difference but it's the only thing that I can think of that might cause your problem unless the flywheel key is sheared and according to a prior comment you said that you had already checked that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Regaped the coils with feeler gauge and rechecked shear key
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Did this make any difference?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No difference
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Did you have to unhook or remove the throttle and choke cable when you removed the engine to replace the seals? Do you have one integrated cable or two separate cables?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two separate cables
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If you had those unhooked, let's go back and look at those. Make sure that you have them hooked up to the proper levers on the engine and that they are adjusted properly. It's a long shot but it's the only other thing that I can think of that might cause your problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea they are in the right place . I meant to meantion that while running I can turn the gas off and it will start to act right for a few secs
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

That was mentioned in a prior conversation with one of the other experts. You also mentioned that you had replaced the float valve in the carburetor. Is this correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The only other thing that I can think of is if you somehow have blocked the vent in the carburetor. This would cause the carburetor or over fuel and by turning the valve off you basically fixed the problem for a moment until the carburetor runs dry.

Give me a moment to check on one thing.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you provide the spec number from your engine? I don't see it in any of the prior conversation.

It will be FH601V- four or five more digits some being letters.