Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Have a 42" lawn chief rider. My husband mows very slowly. He

Customer Question

Have a 42 " lawn chief rider. My husband mows very slowly. He says 2 problems.
1. It is hard to start so has to choke alot and then when it is running it is hard to keep going . He thinks it is then getting too much gas.
2. When he mows there is a row of discarded grass out to side. If he takes off rubber chute then it disappears but leaves it open and we have little toddler grandkids (one being autistic and not afraid of anything). Also he is a brittle diabetic and if he gets low he stumbles all over, falls down, etc so I don't like him to take off any safety features.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! First problem, the engine hard to start and has to use choke to keep it running, would seem to be a lack of fuel! Has fuel filter been replaced? Is the carburetor float bowl clean? The float and the needle valve is what controls the fuel to the engine. As for the second problem with the grass not clearing the deck, can be helped by keeping the rpm up in the engine and blade speed. Also oiling the inside of the rubber chute with a dry silicon lubricant will also help.