JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Can't get in neutral will not start Trying again phone problems

Customer Question

Can't get in neutral will not start
Trying again phone problems
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Can you provide the model and serial number of your machine so that I can better assist you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model
13RN771H729
Serial
1C297B70105
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yr
2007
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Okay, the machine being in gear should not keep it from starting.Is the engine cranking over when you try to start it?Do you hear any noises, clicks or buzzes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing
Don't think gear is lineup
Played with it - then it started
Then had to turn it off because one of the belts were off - now it won't start
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Again, the machine being in gear will not keep it from cranking over.You need to look at the safety switch on the clutch pedal or the deck engage lever, one of these two are the only reason that the machine may not crank over then you turn the key to start. You either have a bent bracket that is causing the switch to not contact all the time or the switch itself is bad and not contacting internally all the time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Not sure what the deck engage lever is
The bracket- u mean the gear selector
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I an referrring to the lever that you use to turn the mowing deck on and off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why not call me so we can understand each other (###) ###-####
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Are you currently available to take the call?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
It has been a pleasure to assist you. I hope that my suggestions will help to solve you problem.Please take a moment to rate your experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Look at the cable attached to the spring - seems to have a lot of play in it - ( moving inside the spring)
Also a connection by one of the pulleys - looks like a break (on a Bicycle ) think I'm missing a spring -can ucall
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I am calling you now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok- battery was bad
So sure it was that forget to get tester - headed to work pick one up on the way out- installed battery still nothing
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Okay, we can continue this later since you are headed to work. Let me know when you are able to continue. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After changing out battery
Still wouldn't start
Used cable from battery to starter she cranked - then the blades came on by themselves
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
This sounds like either the blades are still engaged which would cause both problems, the safety switch on the deck engage lever would keep it from starting and if it were still engaged the blades would start turning almost instantly when the engine was started. Be sure that the deck engage lever is completely disengaged.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this problem?
If not please take a moment to rate your experience.