Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I am having multiple problems with my 1995 , 345 John Deere

Customer Question

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Somehow 2 problems got connected on my post. The Troy pressure washer is not mine!!!!! Here is mineI am having multiple problems with my 1995 , 345 John Deere. At first it was only one problem, now it has added another. I have fenders and covers off to clean and replace fuel lines, filter and clean tank. A couple months ago I would mow for about 30 minutes, and then it would shut off. A little while later it would start. I looked at my fuel filter and it was empty. It seemed when it had fuel in it, it would run, but when empty, it wouldn't. I had already replaced the fuel pump and fuel lines several years ago, so I figured it went bad again. Got a new one and it fired right up. Mowed a couple more times and it shut off again after about 30 minutes. Checked fuel filter and was empty again. Called dealre and they said check vent in cap. Did that and then still had problem. Took pump to dealer and they checked and said ok. Put it back on, and it ran for 3 mowings, 30 minutes each, then shut off again. This time I looked at the filter and it had fuel in it, but would not start. As I was cranking, the filter would fill, then empty quickly, fill, then empty quickly. It did this several times. I starting pushing the mower back, which got old, I tried again to start it. It starting and I was able to get it back to the garage. I took it to the dealer to see about trading it in or having them fix it. We were within 200.00 in making a deal on a new one and they made me made. I told them to forget it and I would be out to get it. When I went to get it, It started, and as soon as I would leave off the brake, it would stall. It never don that before. I figured out I could get it on the trailer by leaving my foot on the brake very lightly, and using my heel to work the other pedals. Got it home and tore apart, fenders, floor, hood. They told me the tank was a little dirty and the pickup could be bad because it was made of plastic. I took tank out and pickup is made of metal. At lunch time today, whether it needs it or not, I'm going out to get new filter, fuel lines, cap and rubber grommet at tank. I will get it hooked back up and see if it runs again at all. I used an ohm meter at pressure / brake sith, with motor off, and it seemed ok when pedal was pressed. If I get motor running I will check switch then to see if it still works. The dealer was basing their trade in allowance on the coils being bad. If that was the case, why would both be bad? I did just find a heavy read wire that comes down to the circuit board area and connects with spade teminals. It looked like it was part was apart. Also the other side of the ple, has 2 wire coming out and they have corrosion coming out of the spade connector. Don't know what these wires do, for I have no schematic. So I may have 1 problem, but could have a couple. Also the air filter has not been replaced in several years. have a new one ordered. Any ideas?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. Your question was posted with what looked like replies from another expert on just answer, do you still need help with your pressure washer ? , oil getting up into the carburetor can be a few things , the most severe is blow by meaning the oil is getting past the rings
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pressure washer part is not mine. I am having problems with the John Deere. I don't even have a Troy pressure washer.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Your right the whole title etc is messed up for whatever reason , what type of john deere do you have and what kind of problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
31 July 2015 02:37
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok so ot will die if your foot isn't on the brake right ? , that could be a safety switch issue , the seat safety switch or the blade safety switch
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Well if the air filter is bad it could of made the motor run hot but the problem with that theory is it starts back up right away right ? Usually when a coil is bad or the the valves or rings it will get hot , die and not start again until it cools off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a seat safety switch and a brake/pressure switch. Somehow there must also be a blade switch tied in. If you don't have any manuals or are a JD mechanic I would appreciate you releasing so maybe a JD person could work with it. The main problem is that it quits running after 30 minutes even before this problem came along with the switch. Connected, I doubt it unless it from the circuit board.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok I can release the question for you , to really find out if it's a coil issue or a valve issue you will have to test it as in use a spark tester and test for spark at both plugs right after it shuts off . With testing the compression you need a compression tester , check compression before starting , they need 60 psi or higher to run, then wait till it dies and check compression again to make sure it's 60 psi or higher
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
A faulty switch could intermittently kill spark to the motor as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please release, already tried spark test
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/MP24/MP24774________UN08MAY01.gif
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! If engine dies, it dies from loss of spark, or loss of fuel. With dual coils,not likely the spark! But engine has electric solenoid in the base of the carburetor. It should click open when you turn on the key. Learn the click when engine is cold, then listen for the click when engine dies, as you turn the key on and off. No click, no fuel. Solenoid can get hot and quit, or it can loose voltage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello you there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, but we were chatting a while ago, and it came up and said I hadn't put down my deposit. Yes I did. So for the second time today I had to call them. This has been screwed up from the start. You can tell, at least on my end, if you go to the top, mine has all XXXXXXXX 's instead of the question.. Anyway sorry. Looking forward to your help.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry for the problems with site! I fight it everyday!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, just checked carb on my model, I see no electrical components at all.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
early model 345's have no electric solenoid in carb. So did you check for spark when engine quit? Has to lose spark or fuel. And if there is no solenoid in the carburetor, more likely a spark problem. Do a cylinder check when engine is cold. Loosen the spark plug wires, and remove one at a time. If engine dies, the opposite cylinder may not be firing. If one has problem, cold, the other can fail hot, so engine would die! Not common, but would explain why engine dies!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put new fuel lines, filter and cap. Also found a red 10gauge wire over by circuit board that had spade connectors. It was almost apart.. The female side of the spade has 2 like 16 gauge wires coming out of it. Don't know what it is for. Fixed that and put tank and fenders back togeather. Also transmission was about 1/4 qt low. Filled that. Took it outside and left it run for about 1/2 hr. I had to leave so I went to get on it and as I was walking up to it, it started to sputter, but didn't stall. I put it in garage and shut it off. I will try to run it some tomorrow and see if it quits. I got a inline spark tester off a guy and will try that if it shuts off. I will let you know. I have a feeling, it is not fixed yet. I will keep case open and be back in touch with you as soon as I can try it, and make it act up. Have you ever replaced any of the circuit boards? Denny
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Circuit boards are replace often. Does yours have the led lights and fuses?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has 2 fuses, but I will have to look if it has led's. Does the control board control the engine?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
only the start , and safety switches.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think mine has the led's. There is a nec black square with 3 little holes or could be leds, but I don't see anything else that looks like leds so far. I just left it run for 1/2 hr outside, then went and drove it for 15 more minutes. So far so good. I have seat wires jumped for now. Will get new switch I think. If it is fixed, I don't know what I did to fix it. I'm not calling it fixed yet because it has worked for a couple mows, then acted up again. Denny
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks for the reply!