Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a 02 32ft gas dutch star with a 5.5 onan gold my problem

Customer Question

I have a 02 32ft gas dutch star with a 5.5 onan gold my problem is this gen starts n run both a/c units fine around town but when I hit the hyway n the temp is 1oo plus I lose 110 power the motor does not cut off but trys to gen enough power to keep at lease one ac unit going with no luck. Ihave replaced fuel pump n filter spark plugs n had a gen mechanic adjust the idle higher the gen has a little under 2000 hrs. please help Stanley
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What is the model number of the genset?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hank my model # ***** ***** HGJA-1038a MY PHONE # *****(###) ###-####please call
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
You are missing a letter in the model number. I need to know what it is.
Also, is the genset shutting down, or is it just quitting producing power?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hank sorry about the missing # 5.5hgjab-1038 A spec:A my gen does not cut off but acts like it is not putting out enough power to keep both a/c units going then when I try to run one a/c it starts loosing power an will not even one a/c
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
This genset will not continue to run if it is not producing full power - it will shut down if the voltage drops too low, or if the engine speed falls too low.
Due the fact that it stays running, it is very doubtful that the problem is in the genset.
You need to start with checking all wiring connections. It sounds like you may have a bad connection that is heating up and breaking contact.
Start with the junction box that is located near your genset - this is a common place for bad connections.
If it is good, (and make sure that all wire nuts are taped in place to prevent them from vibrating loose), then check at the transfer switch. Make sure all connections are tight in there.
If the A/C units are working fine on shore power, it is doubtful that the problem is past the TS, but it does not hurt to check the connections at your main breaker panel.
.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Did you find anything?
.