JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have craftsman front wheel drive push mower with rear high

Customer Question

I have craftsman front wheel drive push mower with rear high wheels. I am able to start it by spraying starter fluid into the air cleaner, but it runs about a half minute then quits. Can you give me any advice on what may be wrong?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
You either have bad fuel or the carburetor jets are stopped up so that you are not getting fuel through the carburetor.What engine do you have? Can you provide the engine model and type or spec number so that I can better assist you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Craftsman 6.75 hp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuel was just purchased at gas station
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Is this a Briggs and Stratton, Honda, Tecumseh engine? Does the engine have a float style carburetor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mower is a craftsman model #917.378320. How do I identify what engine I have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
engine model###-##-####engine family XTPXS 195BA
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Alright, I have found that you have a Tecumseh engine model###-##-#### ***** engine has a float style carburetor.Since you say that you have new fuel just purchased, I am going to tell you that you most likely have a jet stopped up in the carburetor. However this carburetor has two small o-rings internally on the main fuel nozzle, if the lower of the two were to become damaged it will cause the machine to not run. I am going to recommend that you take the carburetor off, disassemble it, install a new carburetor kit part number 632760B, be sure to clean the holes in the bolt or nut that holds the bowl on, there are most likely four small holes in it(two parallel to each other at the bottom of the nut, one just at the top of the threads on the nut, and one down through the center of the nut almost to the very bottom). If you will do this and be sure that you clean those holes good you should fix your problem.Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.Please take a moment to rate your experience.