Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

The throttle and choke levers are all of a sudden completely

Customer Question

The throttle and choke levers are all of a sudden completely stuck and will not budge on my JD X340 lawn tractor. I first sprayed WD-40 all over the throttle mechanism on the carb with no success, so I thought that perhaps something was wrong with the lever mechanism. I removed the plastic lever mechanism (black plastic box with the orange throttle lever and black choke lever), and opened it up to find absolutely nothing that could be causing the problem. I removed the throttle lever and attempted to pull on the throttle cable using a pair of pliers but it wouldn't budge. I am left to conclude that there is something jammed in the carburetor that is not allowing the cable to pull it open.
How can I fix this issue?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Everything that can cause you a problem on this will be external, there is nothing on the carburetor that will keep either control from operating.Try taking the cables loose from the engine and see if they will operate or move with the cables off of the engine.My thought is that the cable is probably sticking or binding inside the casing of the cable.