Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have an older John Deere 214 riding mower that has performed

Customer Question

I have an older John Deere 214 riding mower that has performed well for 2 years, both through grass cutting season and plow season. But, while cutting grass this season, I cut for approximately a half an hour then the engine sputtered out. The problem seemed to be a fuel problem so I did change the fuel pump, fuel filter, and cleaned the carb. I got it running and it seems to run ok without a load, but, run very irrational with a load. some moments it seems to straighten out, but then it goes back to running rough. One note, I noticed the ther were only 2 bolts not 3 holding the air filter assembly (not certain how many were there when I obtained the mowe).
Any advise?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer, have you ran a water remover in your fuel system at all ? , my first thought is you have some residue water in your gas tank etc and with water being heavier than gas it will sit in the bottom of the tank and move around as the tractor moves then get into the bowl of the carburetor . Cleaning the carburetor etc might of cleared some of it but i personally would try draining the bowl when it dies and I would add a cap full or two of heet water remover or stp water remover