Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an Ariens ztr 1540 mower. While mowing yard a few days ago I sw

Customer Question

I have an Ariens ztr 1540 mower. While mowing yard a few days ago I switched off the blades to get off mower to move something. When I tried to engage blades it did nothing. Trying several times to engage blades it would from time to time kill the engine. Today i discovered the belt from the engine to the pulley that is attached to the shaft that turns the blade clutch had been thrown off. I put the belt back in place, tried to engage blades and it kills the engine. Have tried several times to engage clutch but engine dies each time. Any idea what is causing this? The deck is off but that should not make any difference in engaging the clutch, in my way of thinking.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Mower may have safety switch not working, and the one that comes to mind ,is the seat switch. Check the seat switch and harness. The mower has a run circuit, and it is not complete. So it thinks that no one is in the seat, so it kills engine. If not the seat switch or harness, next would be the brake switch, and then the pto switch.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks. I will check it out and maybe replace switches as necessary.
I do have a complaint though. I don't mind paying the $18 for the response but I DO NOT have a need for a monthly subscription in order to ask up to 5 questions per month. My only reason for getting on this site was to ask advise for one problem and one problem only. You need to change the selections to include one that is for one problem or question only. Now I will have to take the time to unsubscribe as I DO NOT want a monthly subscription and this is your notice to NOT CHARGE my credit card for anything other than the $18 for this question. In my opinion that is too much, but will pay it because I did ask for help.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I work from home as contractor ad have NOTHING to do with the crazy billing of the site, I will report your complaint, but you may have to contact them.