JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a JD 265 over charging,replaced regulator,battery,wires,& it is charging 15volt

Customer Question

I have a JD 265 over charging,replaced regulator,battery,wires,& it is charging 15volts may be over. Melted my clutch.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Okay, you say your machine is overcharging but you say the charge voltage is 15 volts. If the charging system is working properly it will provide 14-15 volts of charge to the battery this is normal. If you are slightly above 15 volts I would see no problem, if we start getting above 16 then you are going to overheat the battery and possibly cause it to explode at very least it will boil the acid out of it. Typically this will not cause you to melt the clutch. About the only reason the clutch would melt is if it were pulling too many amps which is an indication that the clutch was going bad anyway. There are only a couple of things that would cause the clutch to pull more amps than normal. First would be if the bearing in the clutch is going bad. Second would be if there were a short internally in clutch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The clutch I purchased for the John Deere indicates that over 14 volts should not be used. "Over 14 volts will ruin it" Was John Deere part.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Can you test voltage at the connector where the electric clutch plugs in and see what you get?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
14.55 on battery , 14.47 at plug
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Okay, by the numbers you have given me I can tell you that your charging system is working properly. No issues there.However your numbers to the clutch are higher than what the clutch says you should be using. Only one problem there is no way to change the supply voltage coming to the clutch. This power is supplied from the battery to the pto switch and then on to the clutch, it will have some loss from the battery to the clutch as it passes through the wiring and pto switch which you do see with your numbers. I don't see a real problem here on your machine.The only other thing I could suggest is find another machine, anything with an electric clutch and do the same testing on it and see what kind of voltages you get. I believe that you will find that the numbers you have on your are pretty normal for all lawn equipment regardless of brand. There is just no way of control the voltage that passes from the battery through the clutch wiring system.