JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Gravely 260z and when I engage my mower deck

Customer Question

Hello I have a Gravely 260z and when I engage my mower deck the blades will turn on and off (engage and disengage) at first it usually ran about 20 minutes now almost right away. I was thinking that maybe it was the clutch but not sure.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me if you have and adjustable clutch on the machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the only clutch i know of is the one on the bottom of the motor that the v belt connects to that turns the blades
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is the clutch that I was referring to. Can you tell me if it is adjustable? If you look at the clutch is it round or does it have a triangle plate with springs and nuts?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
If it has an adjustable clutch, you can try to adjust it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's round with 2 wires coming form it
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
It being round rules out any chance of adjustment. Can you tell me if you are getting voltage to the clutch when you turn the switch on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes the blades engage then disengage I start mowing and then the blades keep cutting on and off. I thought it was a loose wire so I checked where the wires are connected and they seem to be a tight fit
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you know how many hours of run time the clutch has on it? Do you turn the clutch on and off a lot?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
If you have good steady constant voltage going to the clutch and the clutch is cutting on and off when you are trying to mow then it has to be a clutch problem. The clutch has enough wear on it that it will not stay engaged, since this is a non adjustable clutch then you will have to replace the clutch.Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.Thank you for choosing justanswer.comPlease take a moment to rate your experience
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this?