JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My 6 year old toro zero turn model z5030 stops moving going

Customer Question

My 6 year old toro zero turn model z5030 stops moving going up hills this has never happened before I changed the traction drive belt thinking that was the problem but it wasn't any feedback to what could be the problem would be appreciated thank you
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Does it seem to operate okay everywhere except going up hill? When you replaced the belt did you use an original equipment belt or an aftermarket belt?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes operates fine except going up hill. And is original equipment belt.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
So you have one belt that operates both transmissions, you have installed a new belt which should eliminate a chance of the belt being an issue.I would expect that the transmission are going bad, getting weak.These transmissions do have a filter, but it is internal and in order to get to it you have to remove the transmission and disassemble to get to the filter.Does it fail going uphill all the time or only after it has been running for a while or warm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the time
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Okay, it sounds like the filters are stopped up on the transmissions. There are magnets located in the base of the transmission that help to collect and metal shavings that might come off of the gears and pump rotors but they are really close to the filters and you can get these shavings stuck on the filters and cause poor fluid flow which would explain your drive trouble.I hate to be the one to tell you this but it sounds like you are going to have to remove the transmissions, disassemble them, clean or replace the filters as well as clean the inside of the transmissions good, put them back together and reinstall in the machine. That or you replace the transmissions.Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.Thank you for choosing justanswer.comPlease take a moment to rate your experience
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this?