Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Ransomes 951d wide area mower with a 51hp Perkins

Customer Question

I have a Ransomes 951d wide area mower with a 51hp Perkins Diesel engine in it. Today while I was mowing the motor suddenly started to pulsate and lose power, then stalled. I stopped and looked at all my fluid levels etc, everything looked goo. I turned off the blades and attempted a re-start. It started right back up and ran fine. It has a high/low speed switch, the blades only come on in low. I put it back in low and engaged all three mowing decks. It ran for about 30 seconds and then started to do the same thing. I noticed that the amp gauge and fuel gauge both were erratic going flipping up and down. If I turn off the blades and put it in high everything clears up. The engine runs fine and the gauges read properly. As soon as I put it in low and engage the blades I begin to have the problem again. What could it be?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Problem is low voltage in the low position! The fuel solenoid is losing voltage, which stalls the engine! It can be from a bad ground or something shorting out the battery voltage. With it affecting the gages and the fuel solenoid,check the wiring around the engine and alternator. I'm thinking a loose wire or connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more thing, I have been having trouble with the ignition switch. When I turn the switch to the "start" position to engage the starter, all I get is a click. So what I've been doing is turning it to the on position and jumping the starter solenoid with a screw driver (it starts right up). Do you think that could be related to this problem as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis, I'm going away today and won't be back until next Wednesday so I'm not going to be able to work on this machine. Will I still be able to contact you then and ask more questions if I cant figure out whats wrong?
Thanks
Tom
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You may have too little voltage at the solenoid from the key switch , when you go to start. If the click is the solenoid! Or the solenoid may be bad. When you jump solenoid are you going battery terminal to the start terminal on solenoid? If you are, solenoid is good, and the keyswitch switch wire to solenoid is suspect. A mew wire or a larger wire from keyswitch to switch terminal on the solenoid may be in order.