Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have xantrex powerhub 1800 bought from northern. I was installing

Customer Question

I have xantrex powerhub 1800 bought from northern. I was installing a new stove hood and pulled the breaker. E09 ground fault open warning came on, when I had time I went to restart the unit & installed a new fuse. I keep getting the warning and it would not start. Also I would like not to hook up to the utility power they are always having trouble. the solar panels show 13.1 volts & the 4 batteries shows 12.5 volts. Can you help me?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I would recommend that you take off the control panel and get a look at the control boards on this machine. Based on numerous reviews of this model machine it has a bad problem of relays on the circuits boards burn out and leaving you with the problem that you have. Based on information obtained from these reviews when other people have called xantrex about this problem they are being told that an E09 code is a battery issue. I found several post that indicate it was not a battery problem, that it was actually a circuit board problem or transistor problem on the board. Customers are being told by xantrex that it is not repairable and trying to sell them a new machine.I have included one of the several post that I had found about this issue.I purchased the Xantrex PowerHub1800 in 2009 as a UPS for frequent power outages to power my sump pump and refrigerator. Since then it was used on only one occasion to power the fridge during a power outage. In 2012 it developed error code E09 indicating a ground fault interrupt. Xantrex technical support suggested I check the voltage of my batteries and replace them. The voltage was way down, so I replaced the batteries without trying to charge them using a different charger (bad mistake). Even with new batteries I was receiving E09 due to a ground fault. This time Xantrex technical support indicated that the unit's circuitry was bad and recommended that I replace the unit entirety. Really? The unit inexplicably fails and the recommendation is to replace it? I removed the panels to the unit and discovered one of the cards had shorted to the aluminum heat sink. An instrument and electronics engineer who looked at it suggested a transistor burned out and the man hours required to attempt to fix it would far outweigh the cost of replacement. I hope that this helps you.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this?