Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My new john deer tractor is having issues just did the first

Customer Question

my new john deer tractor is having issues just did the first oil change and now the motor smokes out the pipes just one big puff of white smoke I did over fill just a little but when it smoked I just stoped mowing and draned out the new oil again and it was dark brown and smeled like some gas got into the oil and was real watery and thin like older oil would be only had like 1 hour on the new oil the oil I took out from the store was nice and fresh the tractor only has 17.4 hrs on it and still under warrenty .checked the oil today after 3 days of not using the tractor oil looks good and has no smell now have not run tractor since the smoke . I think I just may have over filled the oil and it got into parts of the motor I do have side hill lawn .what do you think .
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! You just got oil into the exhaust system, from overfilling the oil. Run the mower and it will warm up and burn the oil from the exhaust in about 5 minutes. You do need to watch the oil level and see if it does get gas in the oil. That can be a leaking needle valve in the carburetor and would need to be repaired!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's kind of what I thought and will do just that . thank you for your time and answer on this mater . thanks again
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! Please rate to close the question.