JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a dixon ram mag 50 with a honda 20 v-twin.Recently it

Customer Question

I have a dixon ram mag 50 with a honda 20 v-twin.Recently it has developed an intermittent no crank condition.I can supply power to the starter sol. & it will crank.I know I will need to check it further, but it seems the relay & ignition switch seems fine.There is what looks like a module with a heat sink that maybe all the safety switches are tied to.If what I'm looking at is a module / circuit board,are they prone for failure.
thanks
tom
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you hear any kind of noises when this no start problem occurs? Any clicks, buzzes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, my first experience was after I cut about a 1/2 acre shut the mower off and no crank. no noises.My first thought was heat soak starter,but after checking for power I had none.I then jumped power to the starter was able to crank and start the mower.After I was done with the yard I parked it and shut it off.I then could not duplicate the problem.Its been about two weeks of intermittent & I have seen it engine/mower cold.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
When this problem occurs have you checked voltage going to the small spade terminal on the starter solenoid? You have a solenoid that is mounted to the side of the starter on this engine right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no power
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Since you are getting no power to the spade terminal on the solenoid then we know that you are not getting power from the ignition switch.I am going to take a look at a parts diagram and I will be right back with you.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
After taking a look, I am not finding any relay or interlock module that would cause your problem. The module that you are looking at is what I believe to be the voltage regulator. The diagram shows it along the right side of the machine but it does not tell me what it is exactly.Can you identify the S terminal on the back of the ignition switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm at work & the mower is at home
I should take the panel off & check voltage at the ign. switch. I was just sure that there was a saftey switch causing the problem.
I've got no info on the mower
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
If you want to check this once you get home we can continue then. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the marked S
or should I be looking for color
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
The terminal will have an S stamped on it or it will be at the base of the terminal stamped into the plastic of the switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check it tonight
would it be ok to reply back either tonight or tomorrow?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that will be fine. I will try to respond as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was wrong
I do have a signal @ the starter sol & the ignition switch obviously checked good
interesting,I think the sol is shorted
with a test light I've got bat voltage @ the ground of the sol when the symptom exists
I can unplug the yellow wire from the sol & still have bat voltage when the symptom exists
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
You are testing this with a test light which can sometimes be misleading. It does not take much to light it and sometimes even the slightest amount of voltage will light the test light. You are better off to do your test with a volt meter it is more dependable.The yellow wire you are talking about is plugged onto the spade terminal of the solenoid by itself right.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct
this is getting pretty comical.
I checked the ignition switch (s) with a test light (when it had the symptom)
I then checked the spade terminal on the starter sol. (yellow wire) and had power still no crank.
well that is different than the results I've had previously,this seems like a typical bad sol/starter
what it seemed before was no power at the sol. & no crank
I could hit the spade on the sol with my power probe & get it to start
last night I could not
however I hooked up a set of jumper cables tapped the spade on the starter and it started
I had to walk away from it last night
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you may have a bad ignition switch, it is working sometimes and not at others. It may be bad connection internally in the switch causing it to not push power to the solenoid when it should.
You could also have a safety switch that is causing this problem as well. All voltage goes through the safety switches before it gets to the solenoid. You may need to go back and start checking the safety switches.
Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.
Thank you for choosing justanswer.com
Please take a moment to rate your experience