Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Briggs & Stratton 31P977-0670-E1: Re: Briggs & Stratton

Customer Question

Re: Briggs & Stratton engine Model # *****
This is a 26 horsepower engine installed on my Craftman Zero turn mower.
When I started cutting grass I had gone no more than 50 ft. and I noticed a different sound coming from my small engine. Now the same mower that was cutting at 6-7 MPH can hardly go 1-2 MPH. Engine is losing power. Here is what I have done so far.
Changed air filter and spark plugs. Reset electric clutch that drives my mower blades. Reset intake and exhaust valves. None of this has helped. Would you know of anything else it might be? I have not changed my fuel filter and plan to do this today. Thanks..
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! You say spark plugs? This model is single cylinder engine. Could the throttle cable have slipped where it mounts at the throttle bracket ? If it slips , it does not open the carburetor butterfly completely, so you don't get maximum power. Start by changing the fuel filter and checking the fuel line from the tank to the filter. Blow back into the tank , to be sure the line is not being restricted by debris in fuel tank. Does it seem to run ok without the blades engaged? Do the blades turn easily when the engine is off and blades are disengaged? If bearing was not in the deck, the load may be too much for the engine!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mr. Curtis, I'm sorry about the error on the model number I gave you. I have two mowers and this is the single cylinder engine on that mower. The engine starts and runs very well. I even thought I might have a dead cylinder so I unplugged one spark plug at a time and engine continued to run. I will check the throttle cable for slippage. I am in the process of removing several shields and my muffler so I can get to the governor setting. Do you think the shaft could have slipped on the lever. It does not sound like the governor is opening up when I go through tall grass. What would you suggest for the next step if the linkage and governor setting is OK? Many, many years ago I was a tractor mechanic and have seen strange things in my lifetime but I have never run into anything like this. Any more help that you might give me would be appreciated. Thank you, ***** *****My engine is a twin cylinder, Intek engine, Model(###) ###-####B1, 26 H.P.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Power loss with both cylinders firing would seem to be fuel related. I doubt the governor lever has slipped, though it would be see enough to see if can be turned on the shaft.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
did fuel filter make any difference?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, fuel filter was clean. Did not blow back into the tank. Will try that..
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, or check fuel flow to carburetor.