Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a gx390 honda engine that backfires through the carb while starting. (manua

Customer Question

I have a gx390 honda engine that backfires through the carb while starting. (manual start). It stopped getting a spark so I replaced the coil with an aftermarket one. The original coil had the remote trigger on the opposite side of the flywheel, and they do not make them anymore. I am afraid I will have to change the flywheel also.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! What is the full engine model number? Close the coil to flywheel space down to .010 inch. If it still won't start, try flipping the coil over, it may mount upside down, this changes the timing!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis, it is not that I am not getting a spark. It is the engine is backfiring through the carb while starting. ...And I do not know anything about this engine except it is a honda/one cylinder/manual start. I can find no markings of any kind. It is mounted on a concrete buggy.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you try flipping the coil?