JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My mower will back up but the back wheels lock up when I push

Customer Question

My mower will back up but the back wheels lock up when I push it forward. It's a self propelled model 20067.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 22" self propelled Torro mower with the rear transmission.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Have you had any work done recently on the drive system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I did add a new key and spring in the slot on the drive shaft for the right wheel gear because the old one had fallen out. I made sure the R was on the outside for the back right wheel from behind the mower . The right wheel now turns when I apply self propel drive, didn't before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right wheel didn't turn before because the gear on the drive shaft was just spinning.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do both wheels lock up or just one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both wheels.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
What do the wheels look like? Are they in good condition? The gears inside the wheels look good.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep. I even replaced the right gear just to make sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems like the left wheel locked up a little pushing it forward before I fixed the right wheel gear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thoughts?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
This first thing that comes to mind is that the keys are sticking in the axle and not allowing the gears to spin as they should on the axle when you roll the machine forward. This could be caused from rust on the axle or debri that has worked its way between the gear and the axle. You should be able to spin both left and right gears freely on the axle in one direction, when you try to spin the other direction the key is going to catch it and cause the entire axle to spin.I would remove the axle gears, clean the axle good and try to clean the groove the key fits into as well. I believe that this will solve your problem.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I know that you just did some work on the right side but I would make certain that the key way is clean there as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will give it a try. Thanks.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you today.Thank you for choosing justanswer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John,The advise was excellent. The gear on the left wheel was corroded on the drive shaft and I got it off yesterday finally. I am going to buy a new gear, key, and spring for the wheel shaft. If this doesn’t work how do I contact you again?Thanks,Jim HardebeckP.S. Also your advise was very timely. Thanks again.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
If for some reason this does not take care of your problem, you can come back to this post and continue to ask questions.Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.Thank you for choosing justanswer.comPlease take a moment to rate your experience.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John,I tried to see your response but my computer didn’t allow it. I got the rusted on gear off and added the spring, new gear, and key to the left wheel, like I did the right wheel and it mower moves forward and backwards. It works like it did when I bought it in 2008.Thanks,
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
That's great, we have fixed your problem.Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.Please take a moment to rate your experience.