JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Have a 2010 SE2750 with a Generac 27hr that will not start.

Customer Question

Have a 2010 SE2750 with a Generac 27hr that will not start. I am getting fuel out of the fuel pump and have spark at the plugs. However, the plugs did to seem to be wet with gas like it may not be burning the fuel off. Any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked compression on this engine?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there is compression.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
What kind of compression reading are you getting?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a gauge but have built a few engine and can tell you there is plenty of compression. Both cylinders seem to be pretty equal.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Are you testing spark with a tester or just by pulling the plug and cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just pulling the plug!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what type of tester are you referring too?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Okay, you could have week coils based on that. The coil may be firing the plug when it is out in the atmosphere but not firing when under compression. This is odd but not impossible, I have seen it happen before.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
They actually make a spark tester that can be installed between the plug wire and the spark plug to test for spark. This tester forces the spark to jump a rather large gap prior to getting to the spark plug. This will give you a better idea as to condition of the coils, if it will spark across the tester then you can bet that your coils are good. Have you by chance tried new spark plugs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The plugs are only about 2 months old. did tune up everything was fine for about a month then mower was running rough at ideal. It ran fine at high speed. Today it started but ran bad at all speed and finally died. In which I was never able to get it started again.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I recommend seeing if you can't find a good spark tester and check your spark with it. Don't use one of the cheap bulb type testers they are not good for doing this test, it doesn't take much spark to light them so they can be very misleading. Once you have done that you can come back here and we can continue if we need to. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you purchase these at an auto part store? Is there a brand you recommend?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I am sure that you can get them at an auto parts store. I don't have a specific brand recommendation, although what I have used for years was a Briggs and Stratton tester. You just don't want a bulb style tester, keep that in mind. It needs to actually have a gap between two contacts so that it forces the spark to jump across.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thanks!
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you today.Thank you for choosing justanswer.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Are you still in need of assistance?
If not feel free to rate your experience