Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Toro lithium string trimmer that when fully charged

Customer Question

I have a Toro lithium string trimmer that when fully charged runs only about 4 to 5 minutes - or less. Once I start it again it runs about 5 to 10 seconds. The battery charge lights show that it is almost fully charged.
A new battery costs $80 plus dollars so buying a battery is a waste of money if the trimmer itself is not working correctly. I really liked the trimmer but I am not going to buy a new battery when it might not be the problem. Nor am I going to buy another Toro trimmer if this is typical of the trimmers reliability. I used the trimmer about two or three years before it quit working properly. The problem happened all at once and not worse over time.
p.s. I have kept the trimmer relatively clean including the vents. Also, I do not consider the usage during the grass growing season to be heavy, maybe 30 to 45 minutes max.
I hate to throw away anything that I consider to be ideal for my maintenance situation. But repair shops will not test the battery or look at the trimmer.
Suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! You can bet it is the battery! But if you have access to a voltmeter to test with, you can verify it! Charge battery overnight, then test the battery voltage at the contacts, The use the trimmer until it quits, remove battery and test voltage again. If voltage has dropped by half, battery is no good.