JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Dixon 5020. Worked great 5 days ago. Now when engaging

Customer Question

I have a Dixon 5020. Worked great 5 days ago. Now when engaging hydro drive there seems to be a slight loss of power. When I next engage the deck, power drops way down almost to the point of killing the engine. If I have it in park, full throttle, then engage the mower deck it seems to run fine. But then when I engage the hydro drive....great power loss.
Appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
Doug, Burlington WI
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what engine you have on this machine? Please provide engine model, spec or type and code if possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Briggs and Stratton 20 hp OHV model 406777
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tightened the t box belts and engine to T box belt seems to be working properly
Frustrating since is the tractor worked fine last mowing
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I am going to guess that the engine is only running on one cylinder at this point. This can happen instantly with no prior signs or issues. My first thought is to look at the push rods, you may have a push rod that come loose or out of place when you shut the machine down before.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
You indicated that you replaced spark plug, did you replace both of them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is only one and it was replaced this AM
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
According to the model number of the engine that you have provided to me this is a twin cylinder engine. It will have two plugs, one on either side of the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel like an idiot...the other plug was covered up by hose! Of course I should have known this.
Just pulled the plug and it is very fouled...lots of black deposits on inside
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
You might try replacing that second plug it could solve your problem. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just replaced the fouled plug with the first plug which did not look to bad except for white crust on the tip. It did not run any better. Pulled the plug just now and it came out looking dirty with oil on the tipWhat does this indicate? I will still put in a new plug.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Can you check for spark on both sides? I have a guess that you might not be getting spark to that side by what you are describing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check for spark? And if no spark, what then?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
The simple way it to remove the spark plug from the engine and stick it back into the plug boot. Hold the plug over against the side of the engine to ground it and crank the engine over, watch to see if you see a spark while cranking over. It is easier to see the spark if you can do this test in a dark area or very small amount of lighting. I would do this for both cylinders although I think that you only have trouble on the one side.If you have no spark on either side then it is most likely a bad ignition coil and you would replace the coil. I normally recommend replacing both while you are doing it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John,
How big s job is to change coil(s)?since you looked up the engine can you provide the B&S coil part number?Thank you
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Briggs and Stratton Ignition coil part number 592846. This engine has two on it one for each cylinder or plug.It is not a terrible job, if you remove the flywheel cover on top of the engine you have instant access to the ignition coils they are mounted right beside the flywheel. You will need to reset the clearance on the new coil(s) when installing them. Most of the time Briggs will supply a card with the new coil that can be used to set the coil properly.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to solve your problem? Do you still need assistance?