Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

MY ONAN 5500 MARQU RUNS GOOD TILL I GO DOWN ROAD AFTER IT GETS

Customer Question

MY ONAN 5500 MARQU RUNS GOOD TILL I GO DOWN ROAD AFTER IT GETS HOT IT CUTS OFF AFTER A WHILE IT WILL CRANK BACK
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
How long would you say it runs before it quits? I am thinking that this is an ignition coil that quits firing when it gets warm or hot. Have you tested for spark to the plug once the machine dies?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes 20-30 minutes, sometimes 2 hours it varies, but once it cuts off after 5-10 minutes it will crank again and might run for another 2 hours. I have not tested for spark to the plug and I am using shell rotella 15-40 and a wicks filter, do you think the low oil pressure censor has anything to do with it? When sitting in the yard it will run for hours and hours and never cut off, but sometimes when driving it or especially when hitting a big bump it will cut off and takes a while to cut back on if it does cut back on.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
It very well could be the oil sensor since you say it seems to happen when you hit a bump. This may be bouncing the sensor enough that it will shut the engine off, however if that was the problem it should restart right away unless the sensor is sticking or hanging.Have you noticed when trying to restart if you get a major fuel smell when it quits? I am wondering if the bump isn't causing enough fuel splash in the carburetor to cause it to flood the engine and kill it. It would then take a while to get it restarted due to it being flooded.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know about the gas smell because it only cuts off going down the road, sometimes it will crank right back up and sometimes it will take a while to restart.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
So when you are trying to restart it, you are using a remote start is that correct.When trying to restart it the engine is cranking over but just won't fire up and run?This brings me back to the thought that it may be flooding itself when you hit bumps. If it is slightly flooded it should fire back up fairly easy, if it gets severely flooded it will be extremely hard to get started and may have to sit for a little while to allow it to dry out before it will restart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is a remote start, and yes it cranks over but won't fire up. If that is the problem, what can I do to fix the flooding?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Usually this occurs because the float valve is sticking or hanging and not working properly. In order to solve the issue you would have to remove the carburetor and give it a good cleaning.