JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a "never used" (but not new) Coleman generator that

Customer Question

I have a "never used" (but not new) Coleman generator that I can't get to spark. I'm testing the spark by pulling the plug and setting on the block and pulling cord. There were mice living in the engine and they had eaten through the jacket of the kill wire which I removed.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
You removed the kill wire from the ignition coil? Or from where?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From the block right by where the wire for the spark plug originates
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've attached and reattached all the wires from the block to the oil sensor to the on/off switch. No matter what I do, no spark
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Have you removed the pull start assembly and taken a look under it. It is possible that your mice friends got up under that cover and have damaged the wiring under there which is keeping your ignition grounded.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've removed everything but that :(
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Let's remove that starter assembly, I bet you will find that there is a wire shorted or grounded out under that cover. If you want to check it and get back to me that would be fine.You will receive an option to rate me on this. If you would do so I would greatly appreciate it.If you have additional needs or questions you can always come back and continue from where we have left off here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess that's all there's left to do
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Maybe not but I definitely think that this is where your problem is at. If you remove that cover and don't find any problems then you can always come back to this post and continue. Feel free to do so if needed.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you today.Thanks for choosing justanswer.