Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a two year old cub cadet ltx 1045.I use it to ride around

Customer Question

I have a two year old cub cadet ltx 1045.I use it to ride around and water my garden, i have very poor legs. So there is alot of start and stopping. The mover would always start. The battery is one year old. I tried to start and I get one click every time i turn the key but it does not turn the engine over. I thought i ran the battery down. charged over night and still just the click. I jumped it using my car battery, nothing, still just the one click. I have a hard time getting around and cant lay down to look at the engine. can you help. should i get another battery? I don't have any tools to check the battery.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Can you check to see if your engine will turn, if you try turning it back hand?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not sure how i could turn it over by hand. im not very handy.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
No problem. If you can get someone to assist you. Have them to try turning your flywheel by hand, just to confirm that your engine is not locked. Also, just to be sure, I would have someone to remove your battery, and carry it to your local auto parts store, to get it tested for free. This will give us a starting point for troubleshooting our problem.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Your solenoid could be at fault, but I would like to rule out your battery first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long can i leave this page open. if i go into town, come back and this page is gone, whats next. seeing that i tried to start it using a good car battery, what can we guess it might be when it only clicks.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
If your battery is okay, and you got the same results, using a good car battery, then you very likely have a bad or loose connection, or a faulty solenoid.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
First, confirm that your engine is not locked ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i do that.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You can confirm that your engine is not locked, by getting someone to turn your flywheel for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have no one here to help me. the fly wheel, is that the same as the blades on the bottom. if they rotate its ok.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
We can continue for as long as you like. You do not have a time limit on this question. You can come back to this specific question, as often as you like, and there will not be any additional charges for this question.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Your flywheel is on top of your engine. Is your engine a Briggs and Stratton, or a kohler brand?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a kohler. is there a cover i have to take off?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Please take a look at this image. Click on the link to open it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will do.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Very good!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so many little screws. what i did do was to turn on the blades with my cane with PTO in on position. they did turn. I also turned the key to on and the lights came on very bright. i dont think the engine is froze.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for checking. This means your solenoid is very likely at fault.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you have the side view of engine, could you point to the selinoid and then maybe i could ckeck to see if wires are loose.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You will need to remove your battery and your battery holder, in order to gain access to your solenoid. Your solenoid is at the rear of your mower.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think a guy with two left hands should be able to do it and can i get the part at the local car parts store. hard hard of a job . From 1 - 10 , ten being the hardest.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I believe you can do it. From 1 - 10, I would say 3. You will need two 3/8" wrenches, and a 7/6" wrench. Mark your wires and take notes, and pictures as you go. This will help with re-assembly. Lowes, or Tractor Supply should have a solenoid for you.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Carry your model numbers with you, in case they need them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for talking to someone that had patient with me. that should do it.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome! I truly hope all goes well for you.