JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

John deere gx345 runs about 1/2 hour then engine stops let

Customer Question

john deere gx345 runs about 1/2 hour then engine stops let it set about a hour and starts right back up
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Did this problem just occur all of a sudden or has it been gradually getting worse?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Can you describe to me what happens when the engine dies? Does it just all of a sudden die? Does it start sputtering and then die?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will sputter a bit then stop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after about a hour it will start and run
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you may have a fuel related problem. My first suggestion is to check your fuel filter and/or replace it. Next, I would loosen or take the fuel cap off and try running, the fuel tank is vented through the fuel cap if this vent is stopped up then you will get this problem. Next, if that doesn't fix your problem check the fuel pump to make sure that it is operating properly although you are getting fuel for a while so I am not sure that this will be a problem.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you today.Thank you for choosing justanswer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuel filter seems to be fine did notice the fuel was drippingout of what looked like a overflow at pump gas cap does not have a vent bet may have something I can not see
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
When this machine dies you need to take the bowl off of the carburetor as quickly as you can and see if you have any fuel there. I am going to guess that you are running out of fuel in the carburetor. If you have fuel leaking from the pump you are going to need to replace the pump, there should not be anything leaking from the pump. That could be an answer to your problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the pump has a over flow of some kind it is just a rubber tube from the pump to the atmosphere took fuel cap off had same problem
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I would be looking at the fuel pump at this point. There should be no fuel coming from it at any time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the line that was dripping that went o atmosphere came off the top of the carburetor and not the fuel pump did take cap off of carburetor but nothing out of ordinary
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
So the line that was dripping was an overflow off the top of the carburetor.When you took the bowl off of the carburetor was there fuel in it? Did fuel run out as you were taking the bowl off?