JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Clutch failed on is 1500z, been blowing fuzes ,ohmed clutch

Customer Question

clutch failed on is 1500z, been blowing fuzes ,ohmed clutch went to infinity, bought new clutch, checked voltage to clutch, with engine at full throttle voltage was fluctuating between 14 and 22. what is cause of high voltage? is there an number I can call ?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
You may have a voltage regulator that is going bad. This would explain the fluctuation. Does your clutch operate properly? Have you tried to operate the new clutch since you discovered this voltage fluctuation?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
You may call me if you would like. We can discuss your problem over the phone.I will send you an offer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the literature that came with the new clutch said not to hook up if voltage was not between 13.4 and14.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Okay this is good. I would go back and check the output on the voltage regulator. I am going to guess that you will find your problem there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the correct way to check the regulator? it is a Kawasaki engine. the reg. has two white wires on one plug and one colored wire on one terminal
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
You will want to check the system by doing the following:You will need a volt meter to do this.Set your meter to AC volts, with the engine running at full throttle, check voltage on the two white wires at the regulator, you need at least 28 AC volts here to proceed any further, if you are not getting at least 28 AC volts then stop. Your alternator or flywheel magnets are bad. If you are getting 28+ AC volts then proceed to next check.Set your meter to DC volts, with the engine running at full throttle, check voltage by touching red test lead to the single wire on the regulator and the black test lead to the positive post on battery, you are looking for 14 - 15 DC volts here, if you are not getting that then you have a bad voltage regulator, you will need to replace it.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you today.Thank you for choosing justanswer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
had 30 volts ac.
had28 volts dc
removed regulator , will replace and get back with you to tell you if that was the correct fix.
thanks
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Okay, it does sound like the voltage regulator is creating a problem for you that DC reading is way to high coming out of the regulator. Let me know what happens. Thanks
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you it has been a pleasure to work with you today.Thank you for choosing justanswer.