Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I noticed oil on the floor and gas in the oil tank. Pulled

Customer Question

I noticed oil on the floor and gas in the oil tank. Pulled and cleaned spark plugs. The engines runs with white smoke shut it off. I have a Kohler 23, bought in 2007 with 130 hours. I drained the oil/gas out, it had a lot of fuel in the tank! Appreciate any advice, thanks.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
It is very likely that either your carburetor is flooding, or you could have a faulty fuel pump, causing fuel to enter your crankcase.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
The white smoke was due to your oil being contaminated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about oil leak on the floor?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
The leak on your floor, could possibly be due to the oil seal on your crankshaft leaking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you suggest?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Are you familiar with cleaning your carburetor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I've cleaned carbs on cars not on my mower.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Okay.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I would at least, remove the bowl from your carburetor, and check the condition of your needle, seat, and float. Also, check for sediments on the bottom of your fuel bowl. As a process of elimination, you can then rule out your carburetor.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes the diaphragm in your fuel pump can fail. This can allow fuel to enter your crankcase.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You can clean the underside of your engine, with a degreaser. This way, you can observe closer for an oil leak, from your oil seal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I check that out. I guess it's possible the float is stuck open. The last time I cut grass the mower ran great. I'll clean the engine also. Can I come back later if I have another question, how long do I have?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Yes a sticking float is possible. You will not have a time limit. Just wait until we are finished, before you leave a rating.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
After you have solved our problem, it will be great, if you put a fuel shut off valve in your fuel hose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll do that!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Very good!