JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Poulan 54" riding mower. The blades will work sometimes

Customer Question

I have a Poulan 54" riding mower. The blades will work sometimes and sometimes they will not engage. I thought it was the switch but after replacing that, it continues to do the same thing. It will work for a few minutes then shuts off. What is causing this?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Does the machine start okay? Without having to jump the battery?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Does it seem to make a difference when the machine is cold the first time you try to engage it versus after having been run a while?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery doesn't seem to want to stay charged causing me to have to jumpstart it. It matters not if the machine is cold or has been running for a while, the mower blade switch/PTO switch was replaced yesterday thinking that was the problem, however it continues to turn off and on the blades
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I will tell you that you problem is with the battery not staying charged. The electric clutch system on these machines need at least seven(7) volts of battery charge in order to keep the clutch operating. If the battery drops below seven(7) volts then the clutch will quit working.Let's figure out why your battery is not staying charged and I think that you will solve the deck problem. Have you tried replacing the battery recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will go and purchase a new battery right now and see if that helps. This was my dad's mower before he passed so I do not know very much about it, just trying to get the yards mowed on the farm. I will let you know if that works. Thank you for your assistance.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Once you replace the battery I think that you will find that the machine will work for a while. As long as the charging system on the machine is working properly you will be fine. If after running for a while probably 45 minutes to 1 hour if your problem comes back then you will need to check the charging system on the machine.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you today.Thank you for choosing justanswer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK well I just discovered that my sister just put a new battery in it a few weeks ago. It will not stay charged... so what is causing this?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
You have a problem with the charging system on the machine. You may have a voltage regulator that is bad or the alternator is bad.Let's start by getting the model, type or spec and code numbers from the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Poulan Riding Mower Model PGBT2254-96022000200
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I need the numbers from the engine not the frame of the machine. The engine actually has a separate set of number on it most likely on one of the valve covers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could only find 2 bar codes with the following numbers in the area you referenced:
40H7770241E1 and the other one is: 041025YG54989
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
That is exactly what I need. ThanksGive me a moment as I work on this for you.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
You have a voltage regulator Briggs part number 845907 cost around $65.00 and you also have an alternator Briggs part number 592831 cost around $48.00 you could also have the magnets under the flywheel loose which would cause you to have to replace the flywheel Briggs part number 691053 cost around $151.00.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! Thank you. Will try this and see if it works! Will let you know! Have a blessed day!
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
You are going to need a volt meter to continue further.Locate the voltage regulator, it is about 3" square around the starter side of the engine, unplug the connector that has two wires in it.I would start by checking the alternator output, Set your meter to AC volts, with the engine running at full throttle you should get 28+ AC volts across the two pins or wires coming out from under the flywheel. If you have at least 28 AC volts then proceed. If not then you will need to pull the flywheel off to see what the problem is, be sure to inspect the magnets inside the flywheel if they are all in place none loose then you will want to replace the alternator that sits right under the flywheel.Plug that connector back together and unplug the single wire connector.Be sure to change your meter to DC volts, With the engine running full throttle, take the red test lead to the single wire in the connector, the black lead to the positive post on the battery you are looking for 14 - 15 DC volts, if you are not getting that then the regulator is bad you will need to replace it.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.