JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Poulan pro ppb2550e cant get it to start ut a new

Customer Question

poulan pro ppb2550e cant get it to start ut a new carburetor move the the high and low meter vlaves
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Can you spray carburetor cleaner or a little bit of fuel into the throat of the carburetor to see if it will start then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would messing with the high and low adjustments keep it from starting? What's the idle low and high specs? I put in a new carburetor in at first and it started but then messed with the high and low and now it won't start. I backed out the high meter valve and it acted like it wanted to start.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Changing those settings will mess it up. Both high and low screws should be turned all the way in snug and then backed out 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 turns each. This should give you a good starting point and then you can fine tune once the machine is running. Have you by chance done a compression check on this machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K no what gets me is that it started when I install the new carb when i set the h and l it wets the plug withh gas it hads spark at the plug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do fuel lines go get it hit to start with 1 1/2 turn get hit does fuel filter has anything to do with it I think it had a white filer put one with black lines on it after it tries to starts to it dies
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
So, with a new carburetor and the adjustments taken back to near factory the machine will hit or fire but will not continue to run? You said that it wets the plug even with the new carburetor. Have you done a compression check on the machine? I would be interested in knowing what the compression is. You need at least 90PSI on this machine for it to run. If you don't have that then it will cause the problems that you are describing, you will maybe get one fire or hit and it will wet the plug because you are pulling some fuel into the cylinder and it is not being burned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has 64 psi but it started with the new carburetor on till I mess with the h and l adjustment
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Okay, 64 psi is not enough for the machine to start and run, it may hit or fire but it will never take off and run. You need at least 90 psi to run properly, I have seen a few machines in my twenty-eight(28) years of doing this that would run at 85 psi but they were extremely hard to get started at that.I think that you just found your problem on this one.