Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a cub cadet 1180, when I engage the clutch the engine

Customer Question

I have a cub cadet 1180, when I engage the clutch the engine dies down. I took the deck off and all bearings seem to move freely. I ran the tractor with the deck off and engaged the pto and the engine ran fine. Hooked everything back up and engine runs rough and shakes. How freely should the clutch pulley turn when not engaged?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The electric clutch should spin freely , when off and no belt on it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
This is a twin engine, is it firing on both cylinders? May be too much load!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems to be firing on both at least with no load I drove it without the deck and drove it top speed with no problem, after engaging the pto the engine runs rough seems like it's loading up I idle it down and it comes out of it and then it will run full throttle again without the mower engaged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I made sure the battery was fully charged.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you run a cylinder balance test? Loosen the spark plug wires, and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time. If engine dies when one wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If that is the case, check for spark and compression, if both, check the valves for bent or broken pushrod.