Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My name is***** have a onan rv gen set generator model

Customer Question

hi my name is***** have a onan rv gen set generator model # ***** bge the generator was working fine my son-in-law decide to check voltage and blew the 5 amp fuse replaced fuse afterwards generator would not start no spark I replaced the control circuit board and bridge rectifier cr4 install all the parts now when the generator starts soon as I let go of the start button it shuts down I need some heip
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
This machine has a run relay that keeps the machine running when you release the start switch. I would look at replacing it or at least checking it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where would I locate the relay to check or replace it
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
You will normally find it located behind the control panel in the carburetor area. It is a small black relay roughly 1.5" square. Onan calls it a run relay which is basically what it is, it keeps power going to everything when you release the start switch. I have included a link to the parts manual for this machine, I hope that this helps.http://www.generator-parts.com/onan/1GENSETS/9650231.pdfThank You
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the run relay is ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the run relay is ok what is the next step to correct the problem
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I have done some additional investigating about this problem and there are three other problems that you could have on this machine that would cause this problem.1. Low oil pressure switch not closing due to: ***** ***** oil level b. open circuit between switch and control c. defective low oil pressure switch d. low oil pressure.2. Output voltage from generator not being supplied to control due to: ***** ***** charge resistor b. .open circuit in wiring between generator and control c. defective bridge rectifier d. no output voltage from . generator.3. Defective control PC board You can take a look at those three to see if you might have a problem with any one of them.