Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a 2800 onan, it will runs fine, the button sticks,

Customer Question

I have a 2800 onan, it will runs fine, the button sticks, in the on. When running no power. The button will not return on its own. I tried the control on friends 2800 gen. And worked fine. Not sure what's going on? Help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like something on your housing or frame where the button mounts may be damage, bent. Did you by chance try your friends button on your machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put my control board on his generator working fine. I did not try his on mine.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I was just reaching out there for a possibility. I have to think that there is something on your machine that is causing the button to stick or hang.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The button is on the control board. It work on friends gen. Could it be something else like starter solenoid ? Is there a low oil sensor?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
The starter solenoid or the oil sensor would not cause the button to stick.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the actual model number of this machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.8kvfa26200k. Control board p/n(###) ###-####
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I have taken a look at the manuals for your machine but I do not see anything that helps me to point you in the right direction.I am going to send your question to another expert to see if we can help some additional help with this. Thanks
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this. The start/stop switch is actually a separate component that is merely soldered on to the board. It is purely a mechanical switch, and nothing in the running of the genset will cause it to stick.If the stat switch is working fine in your friends unit, but not in yours, then the problem is in the mounting.It may be mounted off center, and the side of the switch may be catching on the hole in the panel. You may need to simply see which side of the hole the switch is rubbing on, and try adjusting the position of the board, or you may be able to very slightly enlarge the size of the hole on that side..
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
If the switch is rubbing, you should be able to see it on the side of the switch itself, or in the hole in the panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My control panel switch worked perfectly on my friends unit. So its something else!!!
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing electrical that will cause the switch to stick. It is purely a mechanical thing.The switch has to be rubbing on something.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the gen, out of trailer. The control unit is unbolted and the cover is off. Nothing rubbing it!!! The switch stays down, starter inguaged, starts and does not provide power. The switch should retract to neutral position.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
If the switch is sticking even when the board is not attached to the control panel, then the switch itself is bad. For a bad switch, the entire board must be replaced.As I stated earlier, there is nothing electrical that will cause that. There isn't even any electricity flowing through the switch - all it does is complete a ground circuit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed my control board and installed my friends control board. It will only run when holding down the start button. When release the button it turned off.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
So the switch on his is not sticking?
You will need to replace your board.
If you have a good electronic shop near you that can solder components to a board, I can direct you to a replacement switch, without having to replace the board.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His switch is not sticking. But the generator only starts when holding down the switch. When released it turns off. So there something else going on.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
If the genset will not run unless you hold the start switch, it is because of 1 of 2 things:
1. The low oil level switch is activated, due to low oil or a bad swtich.
2. The genset is no longer producing any electricity.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK if the oil switch is bad I'll replace it. Where is it located?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
The oil switch is 1 possibility.
It is located inside the engine, and the engine must be split to access it.
.