Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Portable generator frame is cracked can I weld frame without

Customer Question

portable generator frame is cracked can I weld frame without damaging the generator
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
You can weld it but before you do just make sure that you remove any ground straps that go from the engine to the frame or the generator head to the frame. As long as you do this you won't have any problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don,t see any grounds to frame and engine and generator head are attached to frame via rubber mounts are ground strap common?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Not all machines have them but I had to mention it, because if you have them and start welding on the frame you can burn out the stator and then your generator would be useless.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks John I, ll do a continuity test and see if I missed something. I see a ground going with lead wires in head to outlets board which is plastic.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
That one doesn't affect you. All you want to look for is going from the engine or generator head directly to the frame. The ground that is leading from the generator head up into the control panel is isolated already so it will not be affected while welding.