Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Sears GT5000 lawn tractor, model###-##-#### *****

Customer Question

I have a Sears GT5000 lawn tractor, model###-##-#### ***** I bought used from the original owner in 2012. It has about 300 hours on it, according to the odometer. Ever since I purchased it, it has not done well at charging the battery, and I often have
to jump start it to get it going. This summer, the mower deck would slow down when the battery was weak, and finally wouldn't engage at all--a few seconds after I pulled the engage button, it just killed the engine (without ever engaging). I suspected the
electric clutch and replaced it with a new one from Sears. When I charge the battery and the mower is fairly cool, it will engage and cut for a few minutes; but once it warms up or gets into tall grass the clutch won't engage and kills the engine. It is as
if the engine is producing enough electricity to keep running, but not enough to run the electric clutch. Is it likely a solenoid type of problem, or something down in the bowels of the engine where the electricity is produced (I don't know if it has a generator/alternator,
or what)?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to assist you with your question.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Due to the fact that your pto clutch works as it should, after you charge your battery, this is an indication that either your battery needs to be replaced, or your charging system is not working properly.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
What brand is your engine?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Your has an alternator / stator under your flywheel, and a rectifier regulator. One or both of these parts could be at fault.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is the Kohler
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this information. How old is your battery? Have you have it tested?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Purchased it this spring (May). I assumed it doesn't seem to be the trouble, although I could have it tested. Even when I leave jumper cables on and run the engine, engaging the clutch tries to kill the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I start with replacing the rectifier, or is it more likely the stator?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Of the two parts, your rectifier regulator is the most likely problem.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I do suggest getting your battery tested first, just to be sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to tell if the rectifier is working properly (with a meter)?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Yes there is a way. You will need to check your check first. Set your meter to read AC voltage. With your engine running at fast speed, you should get a reading of 28 volts AC. If your stator passes, then reconnect the connector to your rectifier. Set your meter to read DC voltage to check rectifier output. You should get a reading of 14 volts DC.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
With your model and spec numbers from your engine, I can be more specific.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The motor is a Kohler CV-730, Type number 0041
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's from the manual--let me see if I can find more numbers on the engine itself
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Service Manual - Click Here
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Please click on the link above, to open up your free service manual. It will give you the specific meter readings for your engine.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
After you download your manual, scroll down to the Electrical Section.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, got it--I'll see if I can check it out this evening.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Very good! I do hope all goes well for you.