Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a Briggs 8hp changing magneto due to mice invasion on wires. installed new one but

Customer Question

I have a Briggs 8hp changing magneto due to mice invasion on wires. installed new one but no spark. The old one had a grounding shut off wire, the new one does not intaled the same way but at a lost why no spark.
There are two wires coming from coil both with hoops on the end, like the original, which I bolted to the mounting bolts of the coil. Thanks James
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi James my name is ***** ***** thanks for using Just Answer. So looking at the diagram of your engine here is the first thing I noticed is you have points , look at this diagram part 375 http://www.ereplacementparts.com/briggs-and-stratton-195432014901-engine-parts-c-16758_17347_279806_279934.html On older engines before electronic ignition they used points and condensers . Most likely it needs a new set of points or needs the points set or cleaned . Usually when I have a engine like this I unstable one of these https://www.jackssmallengines.com/Products/Universal/ignition-part/MEGA-FIRE-IGNITION It comes with direction it's easy to install and converts your coil over to electronic ignition . There's no more dealing with points etc , I have one on my boat motor even .
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
When you install the new coil be sure to use a business card between the flywheel and coil , let the magents from the flywheel pull the coil to it with the business card in between the two tighten the coil up and then turn the flywheel to remove the business card , this sets the air gap
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi john
dont believe points to be my issue
I can get running with old coil but spark plug wires have been eaten by mice.
when I install new one no spark
if it wererl points would I have spark with original coil
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok , well make sure the air gap is set correctly , you can use a business card , if the air gap is off it will mess with the timing of the spark