JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a stupid zero turn skag mower. Last month it was in

Customer Question

I have a stupid zero turn skag mower. Last month it was in the shop, the belt for the blade was replaced. Right now , the blade keeps turning off, I am not sure what to do
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I am to assume that this mower has an electric clutch to engage the mowing deck. Does the electric clutch shut off? Is it just the deck quits turning like maybe a loose belt?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has a button you pull up to engage belt. the blades will engage, but then they will slowly turn off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
belt is not loose, and was replace 3 weeks ago. we cleaned grass from underneath deck
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
They go off regardless of whether you are mowing grass with it or just sitting idle with the deck engaged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the mower has to be moving in order for the blade to go on. when we started moving slowing, blade would go on, then halfway to small hill, blade stops. happened 3 or 4 times
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
How far or what kind of distance can you go before the blades stop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10-15 feet
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Is it consistent every time? Are you able to move about the same distance every time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not at first, it went a little further after we cleaned under deck a little
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
So do the blades just quit turning or the entire machine is stopping?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
blades just quit turning
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
You mentioned that you had the belt replaced. Do you know if it was replaced with an original equipment part or an aftermarket part. This sometimes can cause you trouble if using an aftermarket part because the aftermarket parts are not always exactly the same length or width as the original. I would make sure that you have an original equipment belt and go from there. It just sounds like you are getting enough grass built up under the deck within a few feet of mowing that it is stopping the blades, the only reason the blades would stop like that is a loose or improper belt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had bought the belt a few years ago, so when we needed a new one, we took that one. I wonder if it was old? I hate to take it in, they charge to pick and up, .. we have only mowed 3 times since it was in,
thanks
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I am thinking that this is most likely your problem. I would get a new original equipment belt and put on it, I think this will take care of your problem. Thank you