Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

HiHank, I have an Onan7.5 Kva generator installed in my 47

Customer Question

HiHank, I have an Onan7.5 Kva generator installed in my 47 ft trawler yacht. It runsvery well and I am very pleased with its performance. Recently I have noticed my bilge filling with salt water and I suspect the raw water cooling. I have checked the waterpump and it doesn't seem to be leaking from there.Is there any other usual place where I should look ?_Thanks Chris
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Any water leak is bad.Since it is salt water you are seeing, there are really only a few places it can be leaking (if it is actually leaking from the genset).You just have to start at the beginning, and work back. Check the seacock, and make sure a fitting is not leaking there.Check the hose to the impeller. Make sure there is not a crack or spot rubbed through.Check the heat exchanger.Check the exhaust. You may have to get in there and dry the bilge to actually find the leak, especially if it is a slow leak. In my experience, most leaks were due to hoses - either they are old and brittle, and have a crack, or improper installation has allowed a hose to rub against something and rub through..
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Was this what you wanted to know?
.