Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I have a 12 year old craftsman 4 stroke lawn mower, it starts

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old craftsman 4 stroke lawn mower, it starts runs about 5 seconds then dies, can you help me?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
The problem is that the carburetor is dirty and some of the small passages are restriced with dirt or gum and varnish. You will need to clean and rebuild the carburetor with a complete carburetor repair kit.Many of these carburetors have a bowl nut that holds the bowl to the carburetor. Once you have removed the bowl, you should take a very small piece of wire and push it through the small holes on the bowl nut. Sometimes there is a small hole on the side of the nut and most of them have a hoe in the center of the cut that will need to be cleaned with that wire.Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.Feel free to come back to me here if you need more information.