Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a yth20f42t Hushqvarna garden tractor. The tractor

Customer Question

I have a yth20f42t Hushqvarna garden tractor. The tractor slows to a crawl in both forward and reverse, and eventually stops. Pumping the forward pedal will get it going again, but it doesn't develop enough speed to be functional. The engine runs fine and doesn't slow down when this is happening.
This above problem happened suddenly; ie, I started it up to cut grass and the problem was there; however, prior to this, the tractor developed harmonic shaking when cutting grass on rough terrain and running at medium speed. The shaking stops when lowering the speed or driving on smoother surfaces.
Gene
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello Gene. My name is***** your transmission drive belt. If your drive belt is loose, worn, or slipping, this can cause the problem you are describing. We can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the drive belt, and it is in good condition and measures 91 inches in length. The belt is supposed to be 92.5 inches, so it looks like it hasn't stretched.Your thoughts please?Gene
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for checking, Gene. Does this problem exist all of the time, or does it occur after your transmission gets hot? Let's check everything external that could cause our problem. Check for a build up of dirt or debris on your transmission, that could be preventing the shift lever on your transmission, from shifting fully into forward and reverse positions. Also make sure that the bypass lever on your transmission is actually moving freely back and forth, as you move the bypass rod, at the rear of your mower.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem exists at start up, and as a result it either moves at a crawl or stops. I don't know if it would improve if the transmission is hot because I can't use it long enough because of the stopping problem.Both the shift lever and bypass lever are working fine.When I checked the dive belt before removing it from the tractor, it was very loose, even when I depressed the forward pedal, which I did by hand.GeneGene
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
If your drive belt is loose, this can definitely cause problems. Your belt must remain tight at all times, unless you depress your brake pedal. We need to figure out, what is preventing it from being tight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Donald,
When I click on the View Response link for your latest answer, I get a message that the website is not available. Didn’t have this problem when until yesterday. Do you have a phone number that I can call.
Gene
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Gene. I can re-post my last response to you. If you still cannot access it. You can click on the Phone Call Offer button to request a phone call. Re-Post - If your drive belt is loose, this can definitely cause problems. Your belt must remain tight at all times, unless you depress your brake pedal. We need to figure out, what is preventing it from being tight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Donald,I have a new password ***** should be able to communicate.I reinstalled the drive belt as per the instructions in the manual and nothing changed. It is still loose. The spring on the take-up pulley is attached and seems to be functioning - there is no adjustment mechanism on this model for the take-up pulley.Gene
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for this information. It is likely that your belt has stretched, although your belt looks good. Make sure your brake pedal is fully releasing. You may want to consider a new belt. Check your idler pulleys, also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is solved. The brake pedal was not depressed all the way due to a buildup of hardened grass clippings. Very difficult to see this area, because it isn't visibleThanks for your help. I really appreciate your input.You can consider this case closed.Gene
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Very good Gene! You are very welcome! Thank you for letting me know.