JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a 2005 223 61" w Kohler. I installed an entire new wireing

Customer Question

I have a 2005 223 61" w Kohler. I installed an entire new wireing harness and a new key switch. The machine doesn't have lights or a rocker sensor. Trying to start with the key switch doesn't work, I used test light to check the hot wires. The test light was well grounded and as I turn the start key nothing happens but when I touch the point on the light to the safety switch terminal the machine starts and runs fine. I think I may have a ground problem, but checked and cleaned the main harness ground and the battery as well. I'm lost
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
It does sound like a grounding issue, make sure that the engine is grounded properly to the frame of the machine. Check battery ground to machine, all grounding connections need to be check, also make sure that the key switch is grounding properly where it mounts. Another thought, you could have a bad safety switch causing your problem, you may want to check your safety switches.