Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I have a craftsman chain saw . it starts but when trigger

Customer Question

i have a craftsman chain saw . it starts but when trigger is pulled the chain mechanism wont work
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
If it acts like it is locked up, you most likely have forgotten to disengage the chain brake. Find the chain brake handle at the front of the say and pull it backwards toward you until it clicks.If that is not the problem, check to make sure that the chain is on the sprocket behind the sprocket cover. Sometimes then slip past the sprocket and fall behind it. Take the chain off and re-install the chain.If everything is done right and it still won't engage the chain, you may have a bad clutch. Theis clutchis behind the sprocket and usually takes a special tool to replace.Try the things I mentioned and most likely it will work.Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.Feel free to contact me here again if you need more information.