Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a JD 345 GX witch the PTO stops. It will work again

Customer Question

I have a JD 345 GX witch the PTO stops. It will work again after resting 5 or 10 min. I have the Air Filter totally clean as mentioned in the troublesooting part of the owners manual. I also have an intermitant problem that may be related...The Engine has shut down twice in the past 2 months but will start right back up. Thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  gofastdk replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like the air gap on the PTO clutch is too wide. Not sure if your unit has an adjustable clutch or not. If it does you will find three studs around the clutch equally apart. There will be springs on them. Next to each stud is a little window cut in the metal plate were a feeler gauge can be inserted. Before adjusting anything, first insert your gauge in each slot to find what the air gap is. If it is .020 or more it is most likely the problem. You close the gap by turning each nut in clockwise. Then recheck with your gauge for the gap. You want it to be at about .013. you must repeat your steps on all three studs to keep the setting equal on all three. Double check your work on all three when your complete. As you adjust them the others may change . If your clutch is not adjustable then a new PTO clutch may be needed. If the adjustment is your fix, then this procedure should be done during your annual maintenance.