Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I can not keep 8hp honda engine running on a log splitter.

Customer Question

I can not keep 8hp honda engine running on a log splitter. It starts fine, runs for literally a minute then stops.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Did this problem occur suddenly, or gradually, over a period of time? Will your engine run, with your choke on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem just started after using it trouble-free for a couple of years. engine runs fine for 1 minute or so with choke on then stops.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Check to see if you are getting a good and continuous flow of fuel, from your fuel tank, to your carburetor. If so, then our problem is very likely your carburetor. You will need to give it a really good cleaning. We can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But .... if it starts again after cool down of 1-minute run, wouldn't it just refuse to start period if carb was the issue ( yes - it is dirty and I will be cleaning it) ??
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Also, if you have water resting at the bottom of your fuel bowl, this could be part of our problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Emptied gas tank & detached/cleaned/refilled it .... Cleaned carb & tried it again - exact same result. Now what ?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked your spark plug? Also, loosen your gas cap to see if this makes a difference.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
How old is the fuel you are using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gas is brand new.
If the engine starts on one pull, how would it be a sparkplug problem ????
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
These are only troubleshooting questions. Running your engine with your choke on, does not make a difference? What if you spray some carburetor cleaner, directly into your carburetor, just as your engine is starting to shut down, will your engine pick back up, and continue to run?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Don ! Combo of new air filter & GOOD carb clean w/ your wise move to back off choke did the job... 'Bout 3 FC's down & 6 to go, UR the man !!!!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Very good! You are very welcome! I do hope all continues to go well for you.