Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have lt1000 craftsman tractor 20HP twin briggs stalls after it warms up.

Customer Question

hi, I have lt1000 craftsman tractor 20HP twin briggs stalls after it warms up.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also replaced the fuel filter
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
How long will your engine run, before it stalls? How long do you have to wait, before your engine will restart?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It varies but just around a few minutes, it lasts longer if I let it sit and idle but if I throttle up and go ride it, I can only cut 50 feet of grass. I have only done this test a few times though, once after replacing the easy parts and a couple times after rebuilding the carb (to test it and the gas cap). I have not tested to see how quickly it will start back up, once I verified it stalled, I just gave up for the day until I could find something else to test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gas tank is filled to the top btw...
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this information. We need to confirm if our problem is fuel or is ignition related. Do you have some carburetor cleaner in a can?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't but if I drip a few drops of gas down the intake it will run for a few seconds. This is why I have focused on the fuel system. The fuel filter does not fill up with gas there's just a small amount in there. I've heard this was normal though.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You are correct. This is normal. Do you have the model and type numbers available for your engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know the engine number just sears mower###-##-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh its in the manual - briggs 407777 type 0167-e1
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I took a look at your engine. Have you checked your fuel shut off solenoid, to see if it is working properly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that the thing in the bottom of the carb bowl?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Your fuel shut off solenoid should click each time you cycle your ignition switch on and off. It has a spring loaded plunger inside of it, that must retract when your ignition switch is on, to allow fuel to flow throughout your carburetor.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You can check it by removing it from your carburetor, then reattach the wiring connector to, then turn your switch on and off, as you watch the plunger. You will need to stop your fuel flow, as you are doing this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will try that and get back to you
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Very good! Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested it and with the key on the solenoid retracted the pin and with the key off, it went back to "free" but was spring loaded.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Based upon what we have covered thus far, I feel you still have either a clogged jet, or fuel passage inside your carburetor, although you have already rebuilt it. First, double check the fuel flow from your fuel tank to your carburetor. Then, remove your fuel hose from your carburetor, to make sure your fuel pump is pumping fuel to your carburetor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will try that next when it cools down some ;)
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** continue from here.